Friday, May 30, 2014

Confessions of a RICE Queen


My name is Carrie, and I love to ice!  You know you’ve heard it before; RICE for injury- rest, ice, compression, elevation.  I love them all; who doesn’t want a reason to rest, ice feels great on sore spots (or hey, at least makes them numb), compression really speeds recovery, and elevation just makes you look like a serious athlete, right?  Knees are my weakness… the more I run, the more ice they enjoy! 
But wait, there’s a new kid in town, and his name is METH (I swear, I’m not kidding).  Today in one of my online communities, we are discussing this article about a new set of recommendations:

Will it change my habits?  I’m not sure yet; the evidence is interesting but the article is far from comprehensive.  I like the idea of active recovery but using heat just screams inflammation to me!  Not to mention it speeds transmission of pain… while ice slows it.  Dangit, I am so resistant to change!

2 comments:

  1. That's really interesting! I have to say that, as a fellow sports girl, I love to rest and ice my injuries lol. But this is an interesting new method. Thanks for sharing that with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an ice fan, too. And Arnica gel. :)

    ReplyDelete