Thursday, May 22, 2014

Exploring


Today I began exploring Twitter… which is very new to me, I’ve never used or followed or paid much attention to it.  So before heading straight there, I thought I should do some research online in an effort to see what educators might already use twitter for, or what they see it doing for learners in general.  I stumbled upon a few different sites and articles, but I really didn’t know too much about what sorts of credibility these resources hold?  For instance, here’s one:


It’s an article about the use of twitter in education obviously, and the author overviews some history of communication prior to discussing the use of twitter to encourage student participation, overcome shyness in the classroom, and steps to using twitter.  But where did this come from?  Who is Edudemic and why do I want to listen to what they have to say about the use of twitter in education?  As I explored the ‘about’ page, I learned that this is an education technology website attempting to connect teachers and administrators with the best technological tools.  But it seems as though users and members are the contributing authors… which I suppose is fine.  I think.  Maybe?  The content seems to be current, the topics relevant.  But is this a blog?  Dare I say ‘just’ a blog?  Does that matter?!  And yes, I know how much this runs smack into topics found in the Bruns reading… another post for another moment.

At any rate, I have veered off on a tangent!  One issue is my orientation to twitter; I’ll get to work on that J  The other issue is; as I look for resources to assist me in getting comfortable with twitter, is this the type of resource I want to use?  I readily admit to obsessively checking my premises… I never want to get caught building tools, habits, arguments, or reasoning on faulty premises.  So I try to make sure that I am getting information from valid and reliable sources.  I am having fun exploring, but if anyone is willing to make recommendations, please feel free!

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the link!
    I'm a skeptic when it comes to incorporating social medal into our education system. Although we need to remain progressive in our education efforts and attempt to incorporate relevant technology, there should definitely be the right balance between social media and traditional education.

    ReplyDelete