Sunday, June 29, 2014

Collaboration Tools

This is sort of carry-over from the discussion boards... about various collaboration tools and ways that groups might most effectively be able to work together online.  I like the Blackboard tools just fine; I've never had any trouble with them.  I don't love google docs; I find that the lack of formatting and editing abilities within the document just lead to more work.  And have you ever gone in to see that somebody took apart everything you did yesterday...?!  That can get sensitive quickly...

Recently I have started using a very simple screen sharing tool for a few projects:  https://www.join.me/


This tool allows primarily for screen sharing and audio or text-based conferencing.  What I like about it is the simplicity.  Users only have to go to the website and enter the nine-digit code that the meeting originator provides them.  No software installation is necessary.  Then the meeting originator shares their screen, and participants join via phone over internet or text in an on-screen window.  Since I am sharing my screen, I can pull up documents, ask questions of the people that need to contribute to that document, and make changes immediately.  It seems as though not being able to share controls could be a drawback, but sometimes I find too many cooks in the kitchen slow things down.  Everybody can see the document and offer feedback while the person who is screen sharing makes the changes.  Less painful (in my opinion) than learning Monday morning that the lone missing group member finally showed up Sunday night and rearranged everything in the google doc... yikes!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the tool Carrie! I don't like Google docs too! I have experienced the same thing while working on a paper for a class. It's really frustrating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to check it out. And I'm not a google docs fan either, although I've not had to use it for a class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Google Docs is fine as long as the group members respect each other's contributions, and do any modification to the document together. But this tool also is promising, I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete