Saturday, July 19, 2014

World Vets - Nicaragua





I wanted to take a moment to share a video about an international effort that I have had students and graduates participate in; World Vets.  A student actually introduced me to it, while she was in our veterinary technology program.  After she graduated and became a professional veterinary technician with a large specialty hospital in the area, she worried that she might not ever have the opportunity to work with this organization.  I coached her a little on how to approach management and try to sell the idea of a six week sabbatical from a vet hospital... and now, four years later, she has been on two or three trips with the group; she's been around the world!  And she is happy to come back and talk to my classes about the work that they do and the experiences she has had.



This week made me think about World Vets because the international veterinary community is immensely diverse.  In many countries animals are not companions, they are or represent the family's income, wealth, and ability to work.  I should do a better job of exposing veterinary technology students to international issues, and now I'm thinking of ways that might be possible.  I suppose better coordination with grads or the group itself might open up the potential for communication between students and the volunteers, perhaps even real-time feedback.  Or I could find a way to integrate an international perspective in our classes prior to campus sponsored events that students already participate in (International Education Day, campus focus projects on particular countries).  At any rate, this week's discussions prompt me to do a bit of brainstorming!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like such a worthwhile endeavor. Are you doing your Performance Support project on this?

    ReplyDelete